Karen’s Simple Pearl Barley Risotto
As we progress into spring, its good to look to new recipes. As such, cooking can be a great way to adjust to a new way of living, whilst we try to flatten the curve of COVI-19. Furthermore, spending time on a beautiful dish can really provide a great sense of satisfaction. Chef Manager Karen has created this risotto with easily available country vegetables for you to try at home.
Stay home, stay safe!
- 200g Pearl Barley
- 2 Garlic Cloves, Mashed/Chopped
- 50g Frozen Peas
- 50g Carrot, Pealed & Diced
- 50g Parsnip, Pealed & Diced
- 50g Celeriac, Pealed & Diced
- 50g Onion, Pealed & Diced
- 50g Leeks, Pealed & Diced
- 1L of Vegetable Stock
- 75g of Butter
- Handful of Toasted Walnuts
- Shaved Parmesan
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Rinse the barley under cold water.
- Put 25g of butter (and a splash of olive or rapeseed oil) in a large pan. Add the onion and leek and salt/pepper. Gently fry for 10 minutes, or until the onion is translucent.
- Add the garlic and continue to cook for two minutes, or until aromatic.
- Then add the carrot, parsnip, celeriac and sweat off with a lid, over a low heat for a few minutes. Add seasoning of salt & pepper.
- Add 25g of butter and once melted, add the pearl barley. Turn up the heat and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Turn down the heat to medium and add a ladleful of warm stock. Stir well to mix and, once absorbed, add another ladleful, stirring now and again. Repeat this process until the stock is used up and the pearl barley is tender (about 30 minutes).
- When the barley is cooked finish with peas, check the seasoning and garnish with toasted walnuts, shaved parmesan & olive oil.