Michael’s Sweet Pea, Spinach & Chorizo Soup
It’s wonderful to see the brighter days, warmer temperatures and longer evenings at present. Indeed, we are fortunate to have such lovely weather in light of the COVID-19 pandemic. As such star chef Michael Walsh has shared his delicious recipe for Sweat Pea, Spinach and Chorizo Soup to help you get creative when cooking at home. Based in the south east, Michael loves local Irish produce. He is incredibly passionate about great Irish food. So, we hope you enjoy this great Irish recipe at home with your family or housemates!
This soup is really simple to make! Furthermore it only takes around 40-45 to prepare, so it’s really handy if you’re a frontline worker coming in after a hard shift (thank you!!). Or indeed if you’re looking for a quick lunch or supper for the kids to make. Why not try it with Chef Rosarie’s Irish Soda Bread (recipe HERE!)?
The soup is really healthy, balanced and utterly delicious. Try it today!
- 100g onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, mashed
- 200g frozen peas
- 250g potatoes, pealed & diced into chunks
- 200g spinach leaves
- 1 lt chicken/vegetable stock
- 75 g cooking chorizo (optional)
- 50g chopped pecans
- Rocket leaves
- 20 ml creme fraiche
- Little grated parmesan
- Putting a little oil in a pot or pan, sauté the onion and garlic over a low to medium heat for a few minutes until they become soft and translucent.
- Add the diced potato and ‘sweat off’ by place a lid on the pot/pan allowing them to sweat for a few minutes. Take care not to burn.
- Add the stock & pea, bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 mins.
- If you want to add the chorizo as a garnish, slice and cook in a pan until crispy.
- Add the spinach to the soup and keep simmering for a further 2 minutes.
- Blend soup mix and season with salt and black pepper.
- Pour the soup into a bowl and garnish with creme fraiche and sprinkle liberally with pecan, chorizo and finish with rocket leaves and a little grated parmesan (and if you have it a light drizzle of truffle oil!!)