Tasty & Quick Fish Cakes with Side Salad
There’s nothing like a good fish cake. Made with gorgeous Irish potatoes this fish cake is healthy, balanced and utterly delicious. With the fish you can mix it up with other shellfish /oily fish of your choosing to make your own delicious combo. Try crab, prawns, salmon or smoked fish for something lovely!
So, try it this weekend, with whatever fish is seasonal from your supermarket fish counter or fishmongers. Indeed, you could even serve the fish cakes with our Healthy Tomato, Feta & Pomegranate Salad (see HERE)! Therefore, creating a great lunch, dinner or even a bit of late evening supper.
Try it today and let us know what you think!
- 400g white/oily fish of your choice
- 350g potatoes – maris pipers are best
- 1 egg, beaten
- 20g coriander/parsley
- 1g salt/pepper
- 10g sweet chilli sauce
- 10g mayonaise
- 1g worstershire sauce
- 3g olive oil
- 200g plain flour or breadcrumbs
- 2 bay leaves
- 500ml of milk
- Half a cucumber
- A few lemon wedges
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp wine vinegar or juice of a lemon
- 1 tsp French mustard
- pinch of caster sugar
- salt and pepper
Prepare the Potatoes & Fish
- Peel and chop the potatoes into even-sized chunks. Put them in a saucepan and just cover with boiling water. Add a pinch of salt, bring to the boil and simmer for 10 mins or until tender, but not broken up.
- Lay the fish fillets and 2 bay leaves in a pan. Cover with milk.
- Cover, bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 4 mins. Take off the heat and let stand, covered, for 10 mins to gently finish cooking the fish.
- Lift the fish out of the milk with a slotted spoon and put on a plate to cool.
- Drain the potatoes in a colander.
- Tip the potatoes back into the hot pan on the lowest heat you can and let them dry out for a minute or two. Make sure they don’t burn or stick to the pan. You should have light, dry fluffy potatoes.
Make the Fish Cakes
- Roughly mash the potato with a fork.
- Drain off liquid from the fish, remove the skin and any bones and flake the fish into large chunks.
- Add fish and potato to a big bowl.
- Add the mayonnaise, sweet chilli sauce, Worcestershire, coriander/parsley and salt and pepper.
- Mix together and add your flour or breadcrumbs, egg and mix with a wooden spoon. Be careful not to over-mix or vigorously mix. If the mixture is cool enough (test it!), combining it with your hands is better than any utensil.
- Shape the mixture into patties and set aside to chill in the fridge for one hour.
- In the mean time, make a little salad dressing in a bowl by mixing the olive oil, wine vinegar or juice of a lemon, French mustard, caster sugar, salt and pepper with a whisk.
- Shave the cucumber using a peeler into strips and add to mixed salad and drizzle some dressing through it.
- Heat some rapeseed oil (any vegetable oil) in a frying pan and fry the fish cakes until golden brown on each side and heated right through. Or roast in the oven if preferred.
- Place the cakes on top of the salad and garnish with a little more dressing and a lemon wedge.
***If you want an added treat, serve with a poached egg on top.