Dave’s Panzanella Salad
The Panzanella salad is a true favourite of ours. Bursting with delicious ripe tomatoes and full of flavour. Panzanella or panmolle is a Italian salad from the Tuscan region consisting of chopped soaked stale bread, onions and tomatoes. Executive Head Chef Dave Gorman has created a truly delicious version of it, that you can easily make at home.
You can mix the salad up for a hearty rustic dish, or you can play around with your presentation and allow it to be a show piece of your summer table. Maybe service it up with our delicious Meatless Meatball Ragu – recipe found here.
- 1kg slightly stale ciabatta
- 3kg of mixed heirloom tomatoes (sliced)
- 1kg red peppers (chopped)
- 3 red onions finely (sliced)
- 300g small capers (drained)
- 12 anchovy fillets (drained & finely chopped)
- 4tsp red wine vinegar
- 10 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- Bunch micro basil or torn fresh basil
- Sea salt/black pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 180C.
- Coat the chunky chopped red peppers in olive oil, season with salt & pepper and roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until browned and soft. Once roasted chop into smaller pieces.
- Tear and lightly toast ciabatta under the grill setting in the oven – Be careful ! If you tear and toast in the toaster they may catch fire. Alliteratively, placing them on the lower shelf in the oven whilst roasting the red peppers will do perfectly also.
- Place the sliced tomatoes on a circular plate in a circular fashion as in the picture above.
- Add the capers.
- Add onions, peppers, ciabatta and anchovy as in the picture above.
- Mix 4 tsp red wine vinegar and 10 tsp olive oil and season. Drizzle over the
- Place micro basil around the salad to garnish.
- Alternatively you can mix all of the ingredients above in a big bowl for a deliciously rustic finish!