Indian Dahl with Toasted Almonds and Harissa Yoghurt
Dahl is a humble dish from India made with lentils or legumes. It is healthy, delicious and cheap to make. Full of fibre with great dish packs a punch with flavour and has many iterations in recipes. You can service dahl with rice, bread, pita bread or a flatbread. Get creative and play around with it.
Our dahl here is served with toasted flaked almonds and a delicious harissa yoghurt. Absolutely delicious!
- 300g red lentils
- 400g coconut milk
- 400g tinned tomatoes
- Spinach leaves
- Thumb sized piece of ginger
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 red chilli
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Chopped coriander
- Spring onions, chopped
Harissa Yoghurt and Garnish
- Harissa paste
- Flaked almonds, toasted
- Heat some oil in a pan and cook off the spices, red chilli and ginger, making sure they don’t stick or burn.
- Add the coconut milk, some water and lentils.
- Bring to a simmer and dd the tomatoes.
- Season with salt & pepper.
- Allow to simmer for 20-30 minutes or until cooked.
- Add the lemon juice and the spinach. Season to taste.
- Mix the harrisa paste with the yoghurt.
- Serve the dahl topped with spring onion, coriander, almonds and yoghurt on the side.