Karen’s Roast Spiced Carrot, Feta & Hazelnut Strudel
As we continue with either working on the frontlines, or working from home, cooking can provide a brief reprieve from the anxiety that is weighing so heavily on us in Ireland at present. Spending some time on a simple recipe, like this, from superstar Head Chef Karen Dalton can provide a great outlet when staying at home to stem the growth of COVID19!
The is a great little recipe, which we hope you enjoy during these times of social isolation.
- Frozen Puff Pastry Sheet
- 6 Whole Carrots
- 1 Tsp. Cumin
- 1Tsp. Ginger
- 1 Tsp. Honey
- 100g Crushed Roasted Hazelnuts
- 150g Crumble Feta Cheese
Preparing the Ingredients
- Defrost Puff pastry sheet in the fridge overnight.
- Pre-heat oven to 160°C.
- Peel & cut carrots in half and again lengthways.
- Coat with with the spices, honey, seasoning & drizzle of oil and roast in the oven for about 20 minutes or until soft.
- On a floured surface, flatten out your puff pastry sheet.
Construct & Bake the Strudel
- Add the the filling along the length of the pastry along one side about 2-3cm/1in from the edge as follows
- Layer the bottom of the pastry with feta.
- Top with half of the hazelnuts.
- Then top & tail the roasted carrot & add.
- Follow with another layer of hazelnuts.
- Finish with the remaining feta.
- Using the tea-towel to help you, roll the pastry up to enclose the filling.
- Tuck the ends in and roll seam-side down onto the lined baking sheet.
- Eggwash the outer shell.
- Place in the middle shelf of the oven and bake at 160°C for approx 30 mins. Goes very well with a veggie gravy.